What are cloud communications?
Cloud communications refer to the delivery of communication services, such as voice, messaging, and video, through the internet or a cloud-based network. This technology allows businesses to access and manage communication tools from anywhere with an internet connection, without needing to invest in expensive hardware or software through cloud services.
The concept of cloud communications originated from the idea of cloud computing. The term was coined in the early 2000s when companies started offering cloud-based services to businesses. Over time they've evolved to include various tools and services that enable businesses to communicate with customers through different channels.
Use Wix's website builder to create your site from start to finish.
What do cloud communications look like?
Cloud-based infrastructure, as opposed to on-site infrastructure
Unified communication tools
Multi-channel communication capabilities
Benefits of cloud communications
01. Cost-effective solutions for businesses who don't then need to maintain their own on-site servers or hardware.
02. Scalable infrastructure, cloud services can be expanded to meet demand, and often consist of multiple online sites.
03. Faster deployment, for example, cloud hosting services can respond faster to extreme traffic fluctuations to eCommerce websites during flash sales or special shopping events.
04. Better customer experience, as cloud communication services can be more secure and reliable.
05. Simplified management, usually through a third party or partner.
You may also be interested in:
Cloud communication use cases
Cloud communications can been used effectively in various scenarios, including:
A company using cloud-based customer service tools to handle customer inquiries via multiple channels.
A business using cloud-based collaboration tools to improve team communication and productivity - think Monday.com.
A website owner using cloud-based hosting services to improve website performance and scalability. Wix, for example, is a website builder utilizing cloud hosting to deliver high levels of reliability for website creators.
4 best practices for getting started with cloud communications
01. Choose a reliable cloud communications provider, like Amazon AWS.
02. Integrate cloud communications with existing systems to avoid to many disruptions to current workflows.
03. Train employees on how to use cloud communication tools.
04. Monitor and analyze communication data to improve performance.
Learn how to create a website.
Cloud communications FAQ
Are cloud communications secure?
Cloud communication can be secure, but it requires proper configuration and security measures. Cloud providers invest heavily in security but users must also implement encryption, access controls and other security practices to protect their data. When you make a website ewith Wix, enterprise-grade security for your site comes as standard.
How does VoIP work in cloud communications?
VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) is a technology that enables voice calls over the internet. In cloud communications, VoIP is used to make and receive phone calls through cloud-based platforms, replacing traditional phone systems.
Can I integrate cloud communications with other business applications?
Yes, many cloud communication platforms offer APIs and integrations that allow you to connect them with other business applications such as CRM systems, project management tools and productivity suites.
Do cloud communications demand special equipment?
In many cases, specialized equipment is not required. Cloud communications rely on internet-connected devices such as computers, smartphones and tablets. However, some organizations may use IP phones or headsets for better call quality
Can small businesses benefit from cloud communications?
Yes, cloud communications are beneficial for businesses of all sizes, including small businesses. They offer cost-effective solutions, scalability and the ability to compete on a level playing field with larger organizations.