Updated on: Jan 16, 2023
Personal Information we collect
In order to provide you with our Service, we must collect Personal Information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (“Personal Information”). This policy mostly deals with Personal Information of our users (i.e. – teachers) but we also included helpful information regarding Personal Information of users-of-users (i.e. – students). We collect the Personal Information you provide us, from your use of the Services, and from other sources. Here are the types of Personal Information we collect about you:
1. Information you provide us.
When you as a User (i.e., the Teacher) or as a User-of-Users (i.e. the student) register for our Services, use any of our Services, and/or when you contact us directly by any communication channel (e.g., emails), you may provide us Personal Information, such as name, email address, phone number, information you include in your communications with us, and Personal Information contained in scanned identification documents (such as an ID card, driver’s license, passport, or official company registration documents).
2. Information we collect when you use the Services.
Wix Education Services does not collect cookies for marketing purposes or third-party analytics purposes.
3. Information we collect from other sources.
We may receive Personal Information about Users or Users-of-Users from third-party sources, such as (i) security providers, fraud detection and prevention providers for example to help us screen out users associated with fraud; (ii) social media platforms, when a User or User-of-User logs-in or signs-up using a Google account or a social media account, we may receive Personal Information from that service (e.g., name username, basic profile information, including image).
Purpose of Collecting Personal Information
We use our Users’ (i.e. Teachers) Personal Information and our Users-of-Users’ Personal Information for the following purposes:
1. To provide and operate the Services;
2. To further develop, customize, expand, and improve our Services, based on Users’ common or personal preferences, experiences and difficulties;
3. To provide our Users with ongoing customer assistance and technical support;
4. To enhance our data security and fraud prevention capabilities; and
5. To comply with any applicable laws and regulations.
6. To help us to update, expand and analyze our records to identify new customers;
7. To create aggregated statistical data and other aggregated and/or inferred information, which we use to provide and improve our respective services;
8. Only relevant for Teachers: To be able to contact teachers who are Users with general or personalized service-related notices and promotional messages;
We do not use Students Users personal information for advertising or marketing purposes. Student User’s Personal Information is only used to provide the student with the Wix Education Services.
Communication by Wix
1. Promotional Messages
Teachers as Wix Education Users: We may use Teachers’ Personal Information to send promotional content and messages by e-mail, notifications within our platform, marketing calls and similar forms of communication from Wix Education or our partners (acting on Wix’s behalf) through such means.
If you do not wish to receive such promotional messages or calls, you may notify Wix Education at any time or follow the “unsubscribe” or other STOP instructions contained in the promotional communications you receive.
For the avoidance of doubt, Users-of-Users (i.e., Students) will not receive any promotional content from Wix Education.
2. Service Messages
Wix may contact Users (Teachers) or Users-of-Users (Students) with important information regarding our Services, or their use thereof.For example, we may send a notice (through any of the means available to us) if a certain Service is temporarily suspended for maintenance; reply to support ticket or e-mail; forward abuse complaints regarding a User’s Website; or notify of material changes in our Services.
It is important that you are always able to receive such messages. For this reason, you are not able to opt-out of receiving such Service Messages unless you are no longer a Wix Education User (which can be done by deactivating your account).
How do we share your Personal Information?
We may use Users (Teachers) or Users-of-Users’ (Students) Personal Information in order to provide them with the Wix Education Services.
In order to provide our Services, we may share User or User-of-User Personal Information with service providers and others (or otherwise allow them access to it) in the following manners and instances:
1. Third Party Service Providers: Wix Education has partnered with a number of selected service providers, whose services and solutions complement, facilitate and enhance our own. These include hosting and server co-location services, communications and content delivery networks (CDNs), data and cyber security services, fraud detection and prevention services, web analytics, e-mail distribution and monitoring services, session recording and remote access services, performance measurement, and our legal and financial advisors (collectively, “Third Party Service Provider(s)”).
2. Wix Education may share the following categories of Personal Information with Third Party Service Providers for a business purpose:
● Identifiers, including full name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
3. Law Enforcement, Legal Requests and Duties: Wix Education may disclose or otherwise allow access to your Personal Information pursuant to a legal request, such as a subpoena, legal proceedings, search warrant or court order, or in compliance with applicable laws, if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so, with or without notice to you.
4. Protecting Rights and Safety: Wix may share your Personal Information if we believe in good faith that this will help protect the rights, property or personal safety of Wix Education, any of our Users, or any member of the general public, with or without notice to you.
5. Social Media Features and Framed Pages: Our Services include single sign on features, such as the “Google Sign-in,” (“Social Media Features”). These Social Media Features may collect certain Personal Information such as your IP address or which page you are visiting on our Website and may set a cookie to enable them to function properly. Social Media Features are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our Services. Your interactions with these third parties’ Social Media Features are governed by their policies and not ours.
7. Sharing Personal Information from Wix subsidiaries and affiliated companies in the European Union to Wix’s United States subsidiary will be only when the relevant Model Standard Contractual Clauses are in place.
8. In Connection With a Change in Corporate Control: In addition, should Wix or any of its affiliates undergo any change in control, including by means of merger, acquisition or purchase of substantially all of its assets, your Personal Information may be shared with the parties involved in such event.
9. Upon Your Further Direction: Wix may also share your Personal Information with third parties for other purposes upon your further direction or with your explicit approval.
Managing Your Personal Information
It is imperative that you our Users have control over their Personal Information. Pursuant to privacy regulations worldwide, Wix is taking steps to enable Users to request access to, receive a copy of, update, amend, delete, or limit the use of their Personal Information. Users can access and control the use made of their data while using Wix Education services in accordance with the mechanisms provided hereafter.
Before fulfilling any of these requests, we may ask for additional information in order to confirm the requester’s identity and for security purposes. We reserve the right to charge a fee when permitted by law (e.g., if the request is unfounded or excessive).
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail your request to Wix.com, 40 Namal Tel Aviv St., Tel Aviv 6350671, Israel. We will make reasonable efforts to honor every request promptly (unless we require further information in order to fulfill the request), subject to legal and other permissible considerations.
1. Deleting an Account:
● Teachers can access their Student’s Personal Information or can request that it will be deleted through their User account. Teachers can provide for parental access and deletion of personal information consistent with the functionality of our services. If a parent wishes to stop any further collection or use of the child's information, the parent can request that the teachers will use their access to their Wix Education Teacher User and the service controls available to them to limit the student’s access to features or services, or delete the student’s account entirely.
● Teachers can permanently delete their Personal Information by deleting the entire account.
● Students or the parent of a Student can ask for their Personal Information to be deleted by requesting the relevant Teacher to delete the account.
● Please note that permanently deleting a Wix Education account (a Teacher’s account) erase all of the information related to this account from Wix's databases, including all associated Users-of-Users (Students) accounts. After completing the deletion process, the Students registered under a Teacher’s account can no longer use any of the Wix Education services, the Students’ accounts and all the data stored on these accounts will be removed permanently, and Wix will not be able to restore the accounts or retrieve the attached data in the future.
2. Teachers and Students may decide to unpublish their website publicly and stop sharing information at any time through the corresponding Wix Education Account.
If you wish to receive a copy, access and/or request us to make corrections to the Personal Information that you have stored with us (either your Personal Information as a Teacher, or your Users-of-Users’ Personal Information), please follow the instructions provided in your account.
You have the right to file a complaint with your local supervisory authority for data protection (but we still recommend that you contact us first).
Additional Information for California residents
If you are a California resident using the Services, the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) may provide you the right to request access to and deletion of your Personal Information.
In order to exercise the right to request access to and deletion of your Personal Information, please see the information on the Section “Your right in relation to your personal information” above. We do not discriminate based on the exercise of any privacy rights that you might have under this Section.
Wix does not sell user Personal Information to third parties for the intents and purposes of the CCPA.
Users of the Wix Education Services who are California residents and under 18 years of age may request and obtain removal of content they posted by emailing us at email@example.com. All requests must be labeled “California Removal Request” on the email subject line. All requests must provide a description of the content you want removed and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate that content. We do not accept California Removal Requests via postal mail, telephone, or facsimile. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, and we may not be able to respond if you do not provide adequate information. Please note that your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the material. For example, materials that you have posted may be republished or reposted by another user or third party.
Where do we store your personal information?
Wix processes data about individuals across the world and may transfer your Personal Information outside of your country. Your security, privacy and confidentiality are our top priority and that's why Wix conducts a vetting process that includes an assessment of the privacy laws in those countries to validate they have strong data protection laws.
User's personal information is controlled by Wix.com Ltd. in Israel, which the European Commission considers as a country offering an adequate level of protection for the Personal Information of E.U. Member State residents (see here).
If you are in Europe, the U.K., or Switzerland, when we transfer your Personal Information to a location outside of Europe, We will make sure that (i) there is a level of protection deemed adequate by the European Commission or (ii) that the relevant Standard Contractual Clauses are in place (i.e., the applicable module of the Standard Contractual Clauses for the transfer of personal data to third countries pursuant to Regulation (E.U.) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council from June 4, 2021, as available here, and the ICO’s International Data Transfer Addendum to the E.U. Commission Standard Contractual Clauses version B1.0, in force from 21 March 2022, as it is revised under Section 18 of its Mandatory Clauses).
When Wix transfers E.U. Personal Information to a third country that the European Commission did not find will adequately protect your information, Wix ensures that it has taken additional measures to comply with the European data protection laws.
Privacy Shield Certification: Wix and its affiliates, including DeviantArt Inc., participates in, and has certified its compliance with, the E.U.-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield List, here.
With respect to Personal Information received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Framework, Wix.com is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC). In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Wix.com commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. E.U. and Swiss individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should first contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wix.com has further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your complaint to your satisfaction, you may - under certain conditions described on the Privacy Shield website - invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted. If you have an unresolved privacy ,or data use, concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request for more information or to file a complaint. The services are provided at no cost to you.
For the avoidance of doubt, Wix does not rely on the Privacy Shield as a mechanism for transferring GDPR protected personal data. Currently, Wix only rely on other transfer mechanisms, as detailed above, such as the SCC or an adequacy decision.
Security and Compliance
Wix has implemented security measures designed to protect the Personal Information you share with us, including physical, electronic and procedural measures. Among other security measures, we offer HTTPS secure access to most areas on our Services; the transmission of sensitive payment information (such as a credit card number) through our designated purchase forms is protected by an industry standard SSL/TLS encrypted connection; we have dedicated incident response procedure plan to handle any breach or incident involving personal information, which includes directly contacting anyone who has been affected by a breach, and we regularly maintain a PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards) certification. We also regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and regularly seek new ways and Third-Party Services for further enhancing the security of our Services and protection of our Visitors’ and Users’ privacy.
Regardless of the measures and efforts taken by Wix, we cannot and do not guarantee the absolute protection and security of your Personal Information, your Users-of-Users’ Personal Information or any other information you upload, publish or otherwise share with Wix or anyone else. We encourage you to set strong passwords for your User Account and User Website and avoid providing us or anyone with any sensitive Personal Information of which you believe its disclosure could cause you substantial or irreparable harm.
Furthermore, because certain areas on our Services are less secure than others (for example, if you set your support forum ticket to be “Public” instead of “Private”, or if you browse to a non-SSL page), and since e-mail and instant messaging are not recognized as secure forms of communications, we request and encourage you not to share any Personal Information on any of these areas or via any of these methods.
If you have any questions regarding the security of our Services, you are welcome to contact us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wix Education and the services it provides to Users on the Wix Education platform comply with applicable provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Questions and Complaints
Our Data Protection Officer team will investigate the complaint and determine whether a breach has occurred and what action, if any, to take. We take every privacy complaint seriously and will make all reasonable efforts to resolve your complaint promptly and in accordance with applicable law.
You can file a complaint with your local supervisory authority for data protection at any time, however we recommend that you contact us first so we can try to resolve it.
We may continue to retain your Personal Information after you deactivate your User Account and/or cease to use any particular Services, as reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes regarding our Users, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreements and/or protect our legitimate interests.
You may also contact us by mail at:
40 Namal Tel Aviv St., Tel Aviv, Israel; or
500 Terry A. Francois Boulevard, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA, 94158
You can also request a callback from our Support team at: at: https://support.wix.com/en/article/contacting-wix-by-phone-3491545
For the purposes of GDPR (Article 27), you may contact our EU representative at Wix Online Platforms Limited, 1 Grant’s Row, Dublin 2 D02HX96, Ireland.
Wix as a Data-Processor
Students’ Personal Information is under the direct control of Users (i.e., teachers), or schools or school districts.
When a User (the Teacher), uses the Wix Education Services to open a classroom, manage and create websites, and invite users-of-user (Students), Teachers or other Users to use the Service, Wix may collect, store and process certain Personal Information of students solely on behalf of the teacher and at the teacher’s direction.
For such purposes, Wix serves and shall be considered as a “Processor” and not as the “Controller” (as both such capitalized terms are defined in the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”)) of such Users-of-Users Information.
This means that the User (the Teacher), shall be considered as the “Controller” of such Users-of-Users Information, and is responsible for complying with all laws and regulations that may apply to the collection and control of such Users-of-Users Information, including all privacy and data protection laws of all relevant jurisdictions.
You, the Teacher, are responsible for the security, integrity and authorized usage of Personal Information about Users-of-Users’, and for obtaining the appropriate consents, permissions and providing any required data subject rights and fair processing notices required for the collection and usage of such Personal Information.
If you are a visitor, user, or customer of any of our Users (for example, a Student or a Teacher invited by the classroom owner, a parent, a visitor to the website created on the Service), please read the following: Wix has no direct relationship with Users-of-Users whose Personal Information it processes. If you are a visitor, user or customer of any of our Users, and would like to make any requests or queries regarding your Personal Information, please contact such User(s) directly. For example, if you wish to request access, correct, amend, or delete inaccurate Personal Information processed by Wix on behalf of its Users, please direct your query to the relevant User (who is the “Controller” of such data - such as the Teacher).
If Wix is requested by our Users to remove any Users-of-Users’ Personal Information, we will respond to such requests in a timely manner upon verification and in accordance with applicable law [for example, thirty (30) days under the GDPR]. Unless otherwise instructed by our User, we will retain their Users-of-Users’ Personal Information for the period set forth in the Data Retention Section below.
We do not use Students’ personal information for advertising or marketing purposes.