Why does my Wix site load slowly?
Site performance is very important to us at Wix! We encourage you to read through our full Improving Your Site's Loading Time tutorial.
We have recently made many changes that should improve the performance and loading time of your site, including:
- Automatically optimizing images for optimal quality and site loading time.
- Using progressive images, i.e., images that initially display in lower quality and are rendered progressively as your site loads.
- Using a Content Delivery Network (CDN) which is an interconnected system of cache servers in different locations, allowing your site content to be loaded from the closest server.
If you find that your site is loading slowly, there are a few important considerations for you to take.
Recent reports demonstrate that, on average, all over the Internet, site loading time has increase by 21% since one year ago! Why is this? In the past web pages were much simpler. They contained mostly text and lower quality images. These days, there are an ever increasing number of new features available for the web, such as high quality images, animations, external applications, videos, slideshows and much more. While these features will definitely improve a visitor's user experience, they do make a site heavier and can result in a slightly increased loading time.
This does not mean that you should avoid using these features. On the contrary, Wix offers many of these features and encourages you to use them to create a top-notch site, but they should be used correctly and in moderation.
Following the guidelines below will help you build a site offering a first-rate user experience.
1. Images: High quality PNG images are heavy and have an impact on your site’s loading time. Keep these images to a minimum. Upload JPEG images instead. JPEG images are compressed, but the image quality is still good enough for most of your site images. Learn more here.
2. Fonts: Some fonts are heavier than others! Both font style and formatting will have an effect on your site’s loading time. Heavier fonts can be used in your site’s title and sub-title, but avoid using them in long paragraphs. You should also refrain from using more than 2 or 3 font types on your site. Learn more here.
3. Audio files: Audio files, especially when set to autoplay, can have an impact on your site’s loading time. We recommend uploading audio files with a bit rate of 128 kbps. Learn more here.
4. Animations, Slideshows and Effects: Keep special effects such as animations and slideshows to a minimum, especially if they are set to autoplay.
If you have built your site according to these guidelines, and you are still not satisfied with the load time, it is possible that the slow loading time is isolated to your computer or Internet Connection. The best option, in these cases is to run a speed test on your site.
Webpagetest.org is a site that allows you to run a speed test on different browsers, different networks and from different locations around the world. The results should give you a good idea of your site’s loading time as a real visitor would experience it.
To begin: Click here > enter the URL > choose the Test Location* > select an updated Browser > select Advanced Settings* > click Start Test.
*These steps are optional.
The test may take several minutes to complete, depending on the load of the test servers. The page will automatically refresh every 30 seconds and display the results when complete.
Once the results are available, please click here to learn how to interpret them.
If you are not satisfied with the results received in the site test, and your is indeed loading slowly, please send us the link to the results, as well as your site URL. We will investigate the results and review your site. If there is indeed an issue on our end, we will do our best to investigate it and fix it ASAP. For further assistance, please submit a ticket below.