Creating a Multilingual Site
Among our 100s of designer-made templates, you can find multilingual templates!
Click on any of the links below to start creating your multilingual site:
Keep in mind that this is an advanced feature.
If you prefer to use another Wix template, you can create a multilingual site yourself in a few simple steps.
Go ahead and watch this video or follow the steps below:
Create Your Main Language Site
In the example below, we will create a multilingual Wix site for English and Spanish.
On your own site, select your site languages as you wish.
1. Get started by creating your site in English (example of main language).
2. If you are using a menu, click on it and delete it (In order to create a multilingual site you will have to use buttons for your menu).
3. Click Add, followed by Buttons & Menus, and then click Button.
Note: You may add the buttons on a strip to get a menu feel: Add > Shapes & Lines > Strip.
4. Click the button to select it, and then click the Copy button on the Editor's top menu.
5. Paste the button on your Homepage. If you want to create an identical site as your English site, then you will want to paste as many buttons as you have pages in your English pages.
6. To rename your buttons, click on a button, followed by Settings. From Button Settings, edit the field under Button Text.
7. Next, click a button, followed by Link to. Click Page and select the page you wish to link the button to.
8. Once you've named the buttons and linked them to all of your pages, select all buttons and copy them. Then, paste your buttons on each English page of your site.
9. Click on each button, and make sure that the box for Show on all pages is not checked.
Translate Your Site to the Secondary Language
1. From the left side of the Editor, click Pages, followed by the Page Settings icon beside the page.
2. From Settings and SEO, click Duplicate.
3.Enter the page's name in Spanish and click OK.
Repeat the steps above to add, rename and link your buttons on the Spanish homepage.
4. Copy the new buttons after they are named and linked, and paste them on all of your Spanish pages.
5. Translate all of the content in your Spanish pages.
Adding Language Icons (Flags)
Once you have set up all of the languages on your site, you're ready to add icons to direct your site visitor to their language of choice.
If you prefer, you can use text boxes instead of flag icons (as explained below).
To add flag icons:
1. Click Add, followed by Image.
2. Click Clip Art.
3. From Add Clipart, click on Free from Wix, followed by Flags in the left hand menu.
4. Click on any flag you wish to add, followed by Add Clipart.
If you do not see your desired flag, you can click Upload Images to add your own clip art.
5. Now, click the flag you added, followed by Link to.
6. From Link, click on Page.
7. From Link to Page, click on the drop down menu below Select Page, and then click the homepage of the additional language you've added.
Alternatively, you can use text links to direct your site visitors to the other languages (instead of flag icons).
Simply add a text box for each language e.g. EN, ES,PT, etc. and then link each text box to the homepage of the relevant language.
Click here to learn how to hyperlink text.
Lastly, be sure to add your language text or flag links to the header or footer sections of your site.
This way, they will appear on all pages of your site and allow your site visitors to easily navigate between languages.
Important note about drop down menus:
It isn't possible to create a drop down menu from a menu you created with buttons.
You can only create a drop down menu for your site only for one of the languages, by creating subpages, and then adding a drop down menu.
You can follow the instructions here.
If you create a drop down menu for one of your language's pages, make sure it is not set to Show on all pages. You will need to duplicate and add the menu to each relevant page.