What is the difference between transferring my domain to Wix and connecting my domain to Wix?
Transferring your domain to Wix means that your domain will be moved from the domain host that you purchased the domain from, to Wix. Your domain will no longer be managed by the domain host, rather:
- Wix will become the domain host, which means that domain renewal will be done from your Wix account, and not from your previous domain host.
- You will be able to manage your DNS records from your Wix account. This includes connecting your e-mail, pointing your domain to a different IP address, connecting subdomains, etc.
You can currently transfer domains with the following extensions only: .com, .org, .net, .biz., .info., co, .tv, .guru, .email, .expert, .photography, .london, .club, .xyz., .company, .solutions, .today, .technology, .tips.
Connecting your domain to Wix means that your domain remains with the domain host that you purchased the domain from, but is connected to your Wix site, either via name servers or pointing. In this case:
- Your domain remains hosted by the domain host, and therefore domain renewals, contact information updates and billing inquiries must be done through your current domain host and not through Wix.
- If your domain is connected via name servers, you will be able to manage your DNS records from your Wix account.
- If your domain is connected via pointing, your DNS records are managed via your domain host.
Please note that this process may take up to 72 hours to take effect.