Wix Answers

Do not post confidential info such as passwords or financial information.
Cancel
Post Question

Replies(7 replies total)

Show my replies first
  • markfurrer

Replied by markfurrer July 7, 2013

Seems that the wix team does not understand SEO. Sub-pages with canonical pointing all to the home page all the sub-pages do not get rankings in google. VERY BAD, sorry....

• Eran Wix Team

Replied by Eran July 8, 2013

@ markfurrer

Wix is using AJAX crawling and every and navigation is done using #! in the URL.

When search engines sees the #! they translate it to ?_escaped_fragment_= and crawls that version of the site.

You can find per page canonical in that version.

This is why you can find all Wix site's pages indexed (Note that this process takes 1-3 months)

Eran 

Wix.com

• markfurrer

Replied by markfurrer July 8, 2013

Well, possible that they are indexed. But when pointing to another page (and therefore indicatiting that the page is doublicated content) the other page will get the rankings. If all subpages are pointing with canonical to the homepage, then only the homepage gets rankings. Sorry it is not about indexing, it is about rankings.

• Dror - Wix Support Wix Team

Replied by Dror - Wix Support July 8, 2013

Hi Mark,

The Ajax crawling standard that wix is using is Google's, there is no duplicated content - google knows which page you're referring to because of the different canonical versions in the ?_escaped_fragment_= version (Which is the only one google "reads"). Using page specific meta data, each page can compete for its own keywords - and gets ranked according to the backlinks and relevant content just like the home page.

Dror - Wix Team
  • wetheusers

Replied by wetheusers April 17, 2013

I have the same question and would like to know then about this:

if I optimize one of my webpages other than homepage for particular keyword or phrase with all the behind-the-scenes link building and other efforts to the point where lets say its good enough of a page content and reputation say after a year or so to be in top 10 results for that keyword...

in this case then, would wix's enforced and over-encompassing canonical method instead transfer all the "link juice" to the homepage instead, this rendering that homepage url to show up high in SERPs instead of the actually optimized webpage for the keyword?

Because I can guarantee you this is highly counter-SEO and I know your SEO team is active on seomoz and everywhere else, but, this is just against everything we have learned and heard in our SEO & Internet Marketing business. How is this user and SEO friendly if users have to anyway end up going to my homepage and from there finding their after god knows how many clicks to the intended actual page with all the worthy info and call to actions on it?

I expect a legitimate response from wix SEO team as I asked a similar question publicly from wix's seo on the comment section of one of the posts/question about wix they had replied to over at SEOMOZ. The time difference between when I asked that question and when they had posted a reply was just a few days and as I am continually using SEOmoz platform I can see that wix seo moz accoutn logs in and out almost on a daily basis and yet they refuse to explain this or answer my question.

this is really important for us to know if we are to continue using wix for our clients sites who also need SEO done properly. this particular subject is BEGGING for a clear and elaborated answer

seomoz reference article http://www.seomoz.org/q/has-anyone-had-experience-with-the-wix-platform-and-it-s-seo-qualities see reply to wix's seo in the comments on Jan 23, 2013 |

• Elia Wix Team

Replied by Elia April 17, 2013

Wix will not interfere with your internal site's linkage and SEO settings. 

However, we can provide you with assistance and tips regarding how to make your site more search-engine friendly, and how to avoid some of the mistakes that can usually happen when creating a website (not just with Wix).

One of the major conflicts in designing a website, is how to avoid 'internal race' between your own pages. This means that if your homepage has little content and only linking to an internal page and contains a title, it might be considered 'less valuable' (Content-wise) and therefore will not be ranked as high as your internal page, which holds all of the actual, original content.

A good site design will balance the homepage and internal pages, and make internal pages more 'specific' to it's content (using more general search terms and keywords for your homepage, but more specific, targeted keywords for the internal pages)

With the HTML5 editor, you can easily update the Meta Tags of Individual Page!

To do so:

1. From the left toolbar, click the Pages icon to open the Page Manager.

2. Next to your page, click the settings icon.

3. In the Page Settings window, under SEO Settings, fill in the fields.

4. Click Done.

5. Click X to close the Page Manager.

Your page’s meta tags are updated! Please note that whenever you update your website (and make sure you save your file afterwards) your website needs to be crawled again by the search engine in order for the change to appear in search results.

Usually it takes anywhere from 1 to 3 months for Google to update its database and for your site to be indexed. Finding your site using your relevant keywords may take even more time.

To learn more about SEO please go here.

If you have further need for assistance or information, please let us know,

Elia - Wix Support
  • MoranFrumer Wix Team

Replied by MoranFrumer November 1, 2012

Rachel,

Let's start with the happy bottom line. Google indexed many of your pages and not just your home page as you can see in the screenshot of Google search results below.

Wix sites are ajax based to provide a better user experience, pages loads without loading the whole browser. We follow all of Google instructions on this, you can read more from Google https://developers.google.com/webmasters/ajax-crawling/

Moran,

Wix Team

• rachel

Replied by rachel October 31, 2012

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your response as well.  Unfortunately, the canonical tag on each internal page (<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.electromenu.com"/>) esssentially give credit back to the homepage.  This means that only the home page is getting indexed, and the internal pages are not.

This is a good thing when there are pages with duplicate content.  See:  http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=139394

It is NOT a good thing when all pages have separate content and you are trying to SEO individual pages for their targeted keywords.  See:  http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/on-page-factors

I understand that we cannot edit the source code, and therefore we cannot remove this canonical tag from each internal page.  Perhaps this practice of adding the  <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.URL.com"/> (home page) needs to be reconsidered?  Or at least give your clients the ability to remove it?  It isn't always helpful

Thanks!
    Rachel

• Jo Wix Team

Replied by Jo October 31, 2012

Hi Rachel,

Each page of your site has its own canonical tag.

It could be that you are not viewing your site's source code properly - To  do so, please add this code : ?_escaped_fragment_= to the end of your site URL and then click on view source.

For ex. : http://www.electromenu.com?_escaped_fragment_= 

To view individual pages' source code, please add it in place of the hasbang (#!) and then click on view source.

For ex.: http://www.electromenu.com/#!digital/c1wfv  becomes :

http://www.electromenu.com/?_escaped_fragment_=digital/c1wfv

Finally, please note that it is not possible to manipulate or edit your Wix site's source code.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• rachel

Replied by rachel October 29, 2012

Hi Leah, Thanks for your reply. The issue here is that our SEO team has developed. plan which includes optimizing specific pages (an internal page would show up in a web search, as opposed to the home page - if that internal page is relevant). It's actually a highly effective method, but unfortunately, can't happen in this case due to Wix's canonical tag which points each page back to the homepage. Is there a way to move this tag? As far as I can tell, there is no way to actually change the source code for a Wix site (making on page changes very difficulty at times). Thanks! Rachel
  • Leah Wix Team

Replied by Leah October 27, 2012

Hey Rachel,

The canonical URL is a tag that appears in your source. Canonicalization is the process of choosing the best URL, or rather, the one you want to use and identify with your website. That way, no matter what URL gets indexed or what URL visitors use to land on your site, the search engine is told which is the main URL to consider, and which URLs to disregard.

This is a great way to avoid unnecessary redirects and other techniques whose entire purpose is to avoid duplicate content. Matt Cutts expands on the subject in his blog if you want to read more about it in a more general context.

Wix guarantees that all of the text and meta tags on your site are being scanned by search engines. However, you need to remember that whenever you update your website, it needs to be crawled by the search engine, such as Google,  before you can expect to see these changes reflected on search results.

It can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months. To speed the process you can re- submit, if you haven’t already, your website directly to Google through here. After purchasing a premium upgrade, connect Wix with the Bing Webmaster Tool and the Google Webmaster Tool. 

To see if Google has indexed your website, as well as the last time this happened i.e. to see a cached version of your website, enter your website’s URL with the word cache: before it in the Google search. For example: cache:www.mydomain.com

With the Wix SEO Monitoring Tool you will receive a step by step guide to improve your site's SEO. In addition, you can also target what your customers are searching for and it will help your site to get found on Google.

Please click here for our SEO learning center.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely, Leah Wix Team

Add reply

Mark this reply as Best Reply
Close open child tickets