Wix Answers

Do not post confidential info such as passwords or financial information.
Cancel
Post Question
wix Wix Team

If you cannot save your site due to a timeout error, please try the following:
While keeping your editor open, go to wix.com and log out of your account. Then log in again while keeping your editor open, and then try to save again.

If it still doesn't work, please wait a few minutes and try to save again.

In most cases this should resolve the issue.

Please post here if you still experience this issue after following the above instructions so that we can investigate the problem.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation,

*Update 2:

Our technical team is working hard to solve this issue, and we've made an attempt to fix this about 12 hours ago. If you are receiving this error, and your editor is open for more than 12 hours, I'm afraid you will have to close it, re-log to your Wix account, and try again.

If you are still receiving this error, even after loading the editor again, please provide us with the following information:

-When loading the editor, and simply pressing save (without any modification) does it save it?
-When making a slight modification to the website, and trying to save it, does it save it?
-Does it stop saving after a certain action you take, or after a time period?

Please make sure to answer all these questions when posting new replies here to make sure we can pinpoint and fix this issue as soon as possible.

* Update:

Hi guys,

We're terribly sorry for this issue and it is currently being investigated. If you've tried re-logging to your Wix account and the issue yet persists then I'm afraid that the current work will be lost. Please close your Editor and browser altogether and clear your browser's cache. You can find step by step instructions here. After doing so, please make a 'test save' - a slight change in your Editor (such as adding a paragraph) and attempt to save. Let us know if the error persists.

* To avoid future data loss we highly recommend that you save your Wix documents every few minutes while working on it.

Thanks for your understanding. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue,

Replies(735 replies total)

Show my replies first
  • carolinemoses9

Replied by carolinemoses9 2 days ago

Hi,

I've just spent hours updating my site. I then received the "you can't save now" message. It instructed me to close the edit page and try later. It appears I've lost all the changes I made. PLEASE HELP!!

• Alina Wix Team

Replied by Alina Yesterday

Hey, 

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. Unfortunately it is not possible to restore a site if it was not saved. Please save your work constantly. 

You can restore a prior version of your Wix site from your Site History.

To restore a prior version: Sign in to your Wix account > click My Sites > next to the relevant site, click Manage Site > on the right, under Handy Shortcuts, click Site History.

Here you can see an overview of all edits and changes that you have made to your saved and published site. This will make it easy for you to view, flag or restore to a prior version of your website at any time!

It's a good idea to flag and rename versions so that you can find them easily.

Note: The following components will not be affected when you restore a previous version of your site: Online Store, Blog, List Builder, and Apps

You can also create a duplicate copy of your site.

To create a duplicate copy: Sign in to your Wix account > click My Sites > next to the relevant site, click Manage Site > on the right, under Handy Shortcuts, click Show More > click Duplicate Site.

For more information, click here.

Thanks, 

Alina, Wix Support Team
  • msacket

Replied by msacket July 2, 2014

I am getting this saving error. I have tried logging out and logging back in and saving and the error is still coming up. I just worked on this project for several hours and loosing what I have done is NOT an option. Please please please help!

• Ron Wix Team

Replied by Ron July 3, 2014

Hi  msacket,

Thank you for contacting Wix.

We apologize for the inconvenience. While browsing on the web, your computer and browser stores various information. This build up of information can sometimes cause conflict.

Please clear your browser's cache. You can find step by step instructions here.

You can restore a prior version of your Wix site from your Site History.

To restore a prior version: Sign in to your Wix account > click My Sites > next to the relevant site, click Manage Site > on the right, under Handy Shortcuts, click Site History.

Here you can see an overview of all edits and changes that you have made to your saved and published site. This will make it easy for you to view, flag or restore to a prior version of your website at any time!

It's a good idea to flag and rename versions so that you can find them easily.

Note: The following components will not be affected when you restore a previous version of your site: Online Store, Blog, List Builder, and Apps

Note: You can also create a duplicate copy of your site.

To create a duplicate copy: Sign in to your Wix account > click My Sites > next to the relevant site, click Manage Site > on the right, under Handy Shortcuts, click Show More > click Duplicate Site.
      For more information, click
      here.

For further information click here or watch the video below.

Ron, Wix Team
  • ashantawright

Replied by ashantawright July 1, 2014

can't save timeout

I am receiving the following message, I already cleared the web browser and it is still not saving my changes. Please let me know how to resolve this matter asap. thanks

"Error saving: An unexpected error occurred while preparing your site data. If the problem persists please let us know by posting on our support forum (Timeout)"

Please help. Thanks.

• shayb7 Wix Team

Replied by shayb7 July 1, 2014

Hi ashantawright,

I have merged your post with this main thread regarding this issue. Please follow the instructions in the Best Reply above. 

If you are still getting this error message, please follow the steps provided here. Make sure you try and use different browsers, connections and devices.

Please also make sure that you have the latest version of the browsers you use. Wix is compatible with Internet Explorer (version 9 and above), Firefox, Chrome and Safari.

To download the latest Google Chrome browser please click  here
      To download the latest Firefox browser please click  here
      To download the latest Safari browser for Mac please click  here
      To download the latest Internet Explorer browser please click  here

If the issue persists, please let us know.

• partyalamode2

Replied by partyalamode2 June 28, 2014

Please help.....I changed so much and took so much time to fix my website and when I tried to save it, I got an error message and everything seems to be erased!!!

• Or Wix Team

Replied by Or June 28, 2014

Hello,

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused to you by this.

Are you getting the timeout error? If so, please see best reply above. If not, please let us know which error it is.

All the best, Or - Wix support team.
  • katieasher

Replied by katieasher June 15, 2014

I have tried all the suggested options to fix this issue but nothing is working. I am still unable to save any work. It also is performing very slowly. Please help. 

• katieasher

Replied by katieasher June 15, 2014

This is the message: An unexpected error occurred while saving your site data. Please make sure you are logged in to wix.com. If the problem persists please let us know by posting on our support forum (0

• Daniel M Wix Team

Replied by Daniel M June 15, 2014

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us.

Please let us know, have you closed your browser and tried to save again after re-opening your Editor?

Awaiting your reply,

- Daniel M, Wix team.
  • nzwesternshowwear

Replied by nzwesternshowwear June 15, 2014

I have done as you suggested above, but still upload new items to my store and I cannot save anything.

• rony Wix Team

Replied by rony June 15, 2014

Please elaborate the issue. 

Please provide us with a screen shot of the problem. For instructions on how to take a screenshot, please use this link.

To upload the screenshot, simply click on the "Upload" button and follow the steps.

Rony WixTeam
  • mfogu2

Replied by mfogu2 June 11, 2014

I've had trouble with this repeatedly, including today--although the site indicates this error was fixed. I logged back out (after less than 10 minutes of inactivity) and logged back in, which still didn't solve the problem. I'm unable to save changes to the site. It also is performing very slowly in general--it won't load my uploaded or Wix free images, or takes forever to do so. Is this due to heavy usage or some other problem? It's making it very difficult and frustrating to do edits.

• Gat Wix Team

Replied by Gat June 11, 2014

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let us know to which one of your sites are you referring so we can further look into this issue.

Thanks,

Gat Wix Team.
  • edweborders

Replied by edweborders June 6, 2014

I've done the remedy steps which work once, then the timeout error repeats, completely bogging me down from getting any work done. Help, please. EdK

• Marina Wix Team

Replied by Marina June 7, 2014

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience. In which one of your sites does this issue occur? I've checked both of your site editor and I was unable to recreate the issue - after clicking 'save' there was no error message:

Which steps exactly did you take in order to fix the issue?

Please also try going to the editor and saving via another browser/computer.

Thanks for cooperating, we await your reply. 

• lader2390

Replied by lader2390 June 5, 2014

I am getting this error when I try to publish: 

An unexpected error occurred while preparing your site data. If the problem persists please let us know by posting on our support forum (Timeout)

Please help!!

• Hércules Wix Team

Replied by Hércules June 5, 2014

Hey,

Please follow the Best Reply steps, above.

If the problem persists, do not hesitate to contact us.

Hércules
  • gymnastix22

Replied by gymnastix22 May 17, 2014

I did a test save after logging out and logging back in, but after adding a few sub pages, I get the timeout error when trying to save again.

• gymnastix22

Replied by gymnastix22 May 17, 2014

I am now alternating between getting the timeout error and the 414 error.

• Yoav Wix Team

Replied by Yoav May 17, 2014

Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience - do you encounter this issue using more than one browser, and network connection?

Please try using a different browser such as Firefox or Chrome.

If the problem persists, please contact us again - and make sure to follow these troubleshooting guidelines.

Let us know if you need any additional help - we'll be happy to further assist!

Add reply

Mark this reply as Best Reply
Close open child tickets