Wix Answers

Do not post confidential info such as passwords or financial information.
Cancel
Post Question
wix Wix Team

A header is the area of your website that appears across the top of your site and appears throughout all of your pages. The header may contain your site title, company logo and your site menu. 

Note: It is not possible to delete the header from your site.

For more information about organizing your pages, click here or check out the interactive site (simply click on the image below)

Replies(82 replies total)

Show my replies first
  • maridijkhoff

Replied by maridijkhoff August 13, 2014

Hi there!

My header and footer stays at the exact position when I scroll down in the preview mode obstructing the view of the content. How can I fix this?

• dinamiso Wix Team

Replied by dinamiso August 13, 2014

Hi,

Setting your header or footer to a fixed position will cause it to scroll with your Wix site. As you scroll down the page, the header or footer will scroll with you.

To remove the fixed position, click the header or footer to select it > click Settings > Uncheck the box next to Fixed Position > click Preview to view your header or footer.

Dina-Wix Team.

• matijakljunak

Replied by matijakljunak August 11, 2014

Hi guys,

I need a bit of help with the problem I'm having. There appears to be a gap between my header and guideline that should denote the end of header (see screenshot). How do I remove this gap? I would like to have the guideline coincide with the bottom of my header, so the rest of the page can continue to flow naturally.

Thanks!

• Stav Wix Team

Replied by Stav August 11, 2014

Hi,

I can see that in order to reduce the gap you've located content from the page area, above the top gridline.

I strongly recommend you adjust your site to fit between the gridlines. The reason why the gridline boundaries are so important is by creating your site in them it assures your site would look fully throughout the different browsers and devices.

The header and the footer should contain items you want seen throughout all pages while the page area contains the items for a specific page.

Here are some topics that may be useful for you:

What are gridlines?

What is a header?

What is a footer?

Now, after all content is in its place, please reduce the gap between the page and the header.

This gap is a result of the page being pushed down.

In order to resolve this issue, click on the page and use the up arrow in your keyboard to bring it back up.

Make sure there are no elements in between the header and the page that would prevent the page from going up.

For more information, click here.

Don’t forget to save and publish when you’re done!

Should you have any further questions, please let us know! Thanks, Customer Solutions
    • matijakljunak

Replied by matijakljunak August 11, 2014

Clicking on the page and using arrow keys to move it upwards is what I've been missing. Thanks!

• Stav Wix Team

Replied by Stav August 11, 2014

You are very welcome.

Have a great day :)

Should you have any further questions, please let us know! Thanks, Customer Solutions
  • thewildearthhamperco

Replied by thewildearthhamperco August 10, 2014

Hi there

For some reason, I have a huge gap between my header and page/body. When I click into the area on the page (ie the main body of my site), it says there is one item overlapping - this is the header. I can see no way to un-overlap them if you know what I mean? The faint dotted/dashed line that usually shows the separation of the header, body and footer has disappeared between the header and body, and I don't know how to get it back. The only advice I can see in the support centre is about bringing items to the front or back, but nothing seems to be working for me - please help!

Cheers

Michelle

www.thewildearthhamperco.com.au 

• leel Wix Team

Replied by leel August 10, 2014

Hi Michelle,

I visited your editor and I was unable to locate the gap between your Header and the Page. 

Please clear your browser's cache.While browsing on the web, your computer and browser stores various information. This build up of information can sometimes cause conflict.

You can find step by step instructions here.

If this issue persists,please provide us with a screen shot of the problem. For instructions on how to take a screenshot, please use this link.

To upload the screenshot, simply click on the "Upload" button and follow the steps.

• Massageandyoga

Replied by Massageandyoga August 10, 2014

is there a way to have a header and a footer on every single page except one ( i want the first page to just be a picture and some bubble letters) 

• Barrios Wix Team

Replied by Barrios August 10, 2014

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not possible.

The header and footer are fixed components in your site and cannot be removed. This means that the header and footer area of your website that appears across the top of your site and appears throughout all of your pages.

The header may contain your site title, company logo and your site menu. 

For more information about organizing your pages, click here or check out the interactive site (simply click on the image below)

Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Many thanks, Barrios
  • jumpingjim01

Replied by jumpingjim01 August 9, 2014

On my site it will not allow me to shrink the header. I have tried everything I could find but nothing works. I want to shrink it so that it fits In my title and page bar but nothing else, can someone help me? Thanks, James

• jumpingjim01

Replied by jumpingjim01 August 9, 2014

I just found out what the problem was. I had a advert in the header that I didn't notice XD soz

• leel Wix Team

Replied by leel August 9, 2014

Hi,

I'm glad this issue is sorted!

Please feel free to contact us should you require further assistance.

• billcameron

Replied by billcameron August 5, 2014

Is it possible to have a header as small as 100 pixels deep? 

Thank you,

Bill

• Dean Wix Team

Replied by Dean August 5, 2014

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out,

If there is no content in the Header you can almost decrease it's width completely using the Stretch Handle.

The main function of the Stretch Handle is to re-size an element while maintaining your page's layout.

Note: Please note that the size of your page will also be altered, according to the element's size.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

All the best, Dean - Wix Team
  • a60309

Replied by a60309 July 31, 2014

Hi Support team

I want to make a chinese version and english version in website, however there is only show in one language on navigate bar. How can I do that on the header with two version (Chinese / English).  Once I click chinese version The all sub-page will be changed in Chinese, and I click to english, all sub-page will be change in english.

Thanks for your kind help

Kevin

• akilby46

Replied by akilby46 July 28, 2014

My header is at 1200 & I can not move my page up to the header.  

• Or Y Wix Team

Replied by Or Y July 28, 2014

Hello,

Please note that there is content above the upper Gridline below your header. Please move this content to the page, next click on the page and set the y axis on the bottom part of the page settings to 0.

That would make the page minimized to the possible extent and stuck together with the header.

For more information about Wix sites layout, click here.

All the best, Or
  • donnieb2

Replied by donnieb2 July 27, 2014

I cannot make the header smaller. It is too large and is taking up my whole page. I was unable to find a setting for this.

• Medeas Wix Team

Replied by Medeas July 27, 2014

Hi,

You can change the size of the Header by grabbing the handle you see when the header is selected. Look at this screenshot:

http://screencast.com/t/j9C4YAb4z

Keep in mind you'll have to move elements in the header in order to be able to resize it. For instance, if the line of the header is touching the menu, you'll be able to resize the header only once you'll move up also the menu.

Have a nice day,

Medeas Wix Team
    • shayb7 Wix Team

Replied by shayb7 July 27, 2014

Hi,

Please go to your editor, click the Header and use the Stretch Handle to reduce the height of the Header. If you have elements placed at the bottom of your Header, you will first need to drag these elements higher and then use the Header's stretch handle.

If you are still unable to reduce the height of your header, please follow the instructions here.

If the issue persits, please specify which one of your sites is related to this issue and provide us with screenshots exemplifying the issue so we could better understand and further assist. You can find step by step instructions here.

• amq163

Replied by amq163 July 19, 2014

Hi there!

Like a lot of the posts on this thread, we too have an issue whereby our header can increase in size but not decrease.  Would you be able to have a look at our site and make the header area smaller - may it have something to do with the pictures on the far right and left sides of the screen?

http://editor.wix.com/html/editor/web/renderer/edit/b23308ec-220b-417d-b362-174aa52f3d3c?metaSiteId=82e96cf5-e1c5-4f6c-a755-4b2b6f0a1af7&editorSessionId=DADBB253-9998-478D-B662-FB51C9C37E7F

Many thanks

Annemarie

• Dean Wix Team

Replied by Dean July 19, 2014

Hi,

Looking into your editor it appears you can decrease the size of your header further since it's already right on the last element in it.

If you are encountering a specific issue on one of the pages, please provide us with a screen shot of the problem so we can take a closer look. For instructions on how to take a screenshot, please use this link.

To upload the screenshot, simply click on the "Upload" button and follow the steps.

Thank you for the patience and cooperation,

All the best, Dean - Wix Team

Add reply

Mark this reply as Best Reply
Close open child tickets