Wix Answers

Do not post confidential info such as passwords or financial information.
Cancel
Post Question
wix Wix Team

There are two ways to create an image with a transparent background:

1. Starting from scratch: 

Within Photoshop, click File > New > In the Background Contents field, choose Transparent

You are free to design whatever elements you require (text, shapes, lines, etc) and they will appear with a transparent background.

When you're done,  Save for Web as a .png file. 

2. Existing Image

Within Photoshop, select the part of the image that you want > copy and paste it into a new page in Photoshop > double click on the background to edit the name > change the opacity to 0%. 

After you've done this, you should see a checkered box for the background. Click on Save for Web and make sure to save it as a .png file. 

Finally, upload it to your Wix editor!

Please also make sure that the image has no skin. Click the image -> Change Style > Edit Style -> choose the first skin called No Skin Photo.

For more information on how to upload images, click here .

Replies(90 replies total)

Show my replies first
  • goldwaser4

Replied by goldwaser4 4 days ago

You better try videostir.

• romeogittens

Replied by romeogittens August 16, 2014

I can't seem to upload a jpeg or png file.  It is the right format and under the 15MB.  Not sure what the problem is please help.

• Tal Wix Team

Replied by Tal August 17, 2014

Hi romeogittens,

Thank you for contacting Wix.

Please try the following:

1. Clear your browser's cache and cookies of "Everything". You can find step-by-step instructions here.

2. Try using other browsers to open Wix. Recommended browsers include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and either IE or Safari (depending on whether you use a PC or a MAC).

In case this issue persists, please provide us this information:

1. What Operating System you're using (i.e. Mac OSX, Windows XP, etc.)
      2. What browsers you've tried - and include the version of the browser (can generally be found by going to Help > About within the browser).
      3. Attach a screenshot of the problem. For instructions on how to take a screenshot, click here.

Thank you for your cooperation, we are waiting for your reply.

Tal, Wix Team
  • acarnila

Replied by acarnila August 15, 2014

Yes ... the problem of transparent background is very awfull. I have also following all the instruction but the result I never get a transparent background on the file that I upload to the wix editor. I have tried the same image on other application and it works right.
    What makes me courious is that if I try to use the clipart provided by wix editor it was no problem. All the clipart that has a transparent background appear just right.
    Is there anything happened during the upload proses to the wix editor ?
    Is there anyone who have success of uploading a transparent background could share their experience ?

• Dean Wix Team

Replied by Dean August 15, 2014

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you are encountering issues.

Please see if this link helps more than our outlined steps.

If you still can't get the image right please send it to us so we can take a closer look on our end and assist you further.

To upload the image, simply click on the "Upload" button and follow the steps.

Thank you for the patience and cooperation.

All the best, Dean - Wix Team
    • acarnila

Replied by acarnila 4 days ago

It seems that I found the problem.

I am uploading the image using Wix Pics using my android phone. this is due to the problem I have on my place that have a proxy betwen internal network and the internet. I can't upload the image through my computer, so I copied the image to my android phone, then I upload the image because my android phone use GSM service.

On another ocassion I bring my laptop to another place. In this place there is no proxy, and I try to upload the image again. This time it works flawlessly. The same image file that result in different result.

My conclusion is maybe the Wix Pics app on the Android do something wrong to the image.

• rotemc Wix Team

Replied by rotemc 4 days ago

Hi,

Thank you for the elaborate explanation.

We would appreciate if you could send us the image file so we could test it ourselves and further investigate this.

Please let us know should you require any further assistance.

To upload the image, simply click on the "Upload" button and follow the steps.

Thanks,

Rotem, Wix Support Team
  • timshaw4

Replied by timshaw4 August 12, 2014

Hi

Just had the same problem, make sure the IMAGE STLYE setting is set to default. My default setting was on NO FRAME which caused all my transparent background images to appear white.

• dinamiso Wix Team

Replied by dinamiso August 12, 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion :)

Dina-Wix Team.

• gogirlusa

Replied by gogirlusa August 6, 2014

I have followed your instructions to a T in photoshop but my images STILL have backgrounds. They are .png files with transparent backgrounds saved for web. Now what?

• shayb7 Wix Team

Replied by shayb7 August 6, 2014

Hi,

Please provide us with a detailed outline of the steps that you have taken so we could better understand and further assist. Please also provide us with the image after editing the required changes using PhotoshopTo upload the image, simply click on the "Upload" button and follow the steps.

Awaiting your reply

• nwanzevince

Replied by nwanzevince June 5, 2014

Hello,

Please what is the right dimension for background images?

• Ellie Wix Team

Replied by Ellie June 5, 2014

Hi nwanzevince,

The images can be any size (within our recommended 15mb recommendation). Once you upload the background image you may then select the image scaling and position.  Your site visitors will view your site using different devices and various screen resolutions therefore an exact size is not given by us but rather instructions on how to scale the image to best fit your site.

Please let us know if you have any further questions we may assist you with.

All the best, Ellie
  • dukechiomega

Replied by dukechiomega May 30, 2014

I downloaded my images from the Internet and they are saved as .png files with transparent backgrounds. I have GIMP installed on my computer and I've opened the images in GIMP to confirm that the backgrounds are transparent. However, when I try to add them to my Wix site they show up with a white background. I can't find the "Save for web" or "No skin" options in GIMP; would these help and where could I find them? Any other suggestions?

• nevermorecrimeseries

Replied by nevermorecrimeseries May 29, 2014

I PS'ed my images to have transparent background with a drop shadow, which in theory should provide a drop shadow against any background color. I've done this frequently when I used to code web page HTML by hand. Apparently the Wix "team" never thought of this possibility (I used to do it all the time) and the effect (which should work) comes out wrong. I hate this when the design app 2nd guesses what you want, and guesses wrong, and there seems to be no way around it, except to not be able to do the effect that you wanted (and used to work with regular web page design.) Sigh!!!

• nevermorecrimeseries

I mean, a key purpose of using a image format with alpha/transparency (like PNG) is to be able to do things like blending a drop shadow with any background color.

• nevermorecrimeseries

When I'm wrong, I admit it. I am wrong on this. When I did the first images, I saved them as PNG-8. When I re-saved them as PNG-24 they worked correctly, just as I wanted them to. The drop shadow intergrated with the background color just as it should.

Sorry for short temper on this.

Thank you

• starnikki57

Replied by starnikki57 May 23, 2014

Hello, my image is transparent already it's been edited in photoshop and shows up with the background transparent everywhere except when I apply it to my wix page. When I apply the image to my webpage in wix, it has a black background framing it.

Any suggestions?

• gills2

Replied by gills2 May 23, 2014

Hey  starnikki57,

Please click on the image > Change Style > Edit style > Choose 'No skin'. 

Thanks,

Gill, Wix Team
  • lucywilllucywill

Replied by lucywilllucywill May 4, 2014

no matter what it is, we must choose a proper image application such as Photoshop and Gimp to make a transparent background image ,right? it is still a problem for me to create such image in transparent, thank you for all the reply.

• Tal Wix Team

Replied by Tal May 4, 2014

Hi,

As you can see on the Best Reply at the top of this page, you must use one of the image applications you have mentioned:

1. Starting from scratch: 

Within Photoshop, click File > New > In the Background Contents field, choose Transparent

You are free to design whatever elements you require (text, shapes, lines, etc) and they will appear with a transparent background.

When you're done,  Save for Web as a .png file. 

2. Existing Image

Within Photoshop, select the part of the image that you want > copy and paste it into a new page in Photoshop > double click on the background to edit the name > change the opacity to 0%. 

After you've done this, you should see a checkered box for the background. Click on Save for Web and make sure to save it as a .png file. 

Finally, upload it to your Wix editor!

Please also make sure that the image has no skin. Click the image -> Change Style > Edit Style -> choose the first skin called No Skin Photo.

Have a great day,

Tal, Wix Team

Add reply

Mark this reply as Best Reply
Close open child tickets