Wix Answers

Do not post confidential info such as passwords or financial information.
Cancel
Post Question
wix Wix Team

Transferring your domain to Wix means that your domain will be moved from the domain host that you purchased the domain from, to Wix. Your domain will no longer be managed by the domain host, rather:

- Wix will become the domain host, which means that domain renewal will be done from your Wix account, and not from your previous domain host.
- You will be able to manage your DNS records from your Wix account. This includes connecting your e-mail, pointing your domain to a different IP address, connecting subdomains, etc.

Please note: You can currently transfer only domains with the following extensions: .com, .org, .net, .biz. and .info.

For more information on transferring a domain to Wix, please click here.

Connecting your domain to Wix means that your domain remains with the domain host that you purchased the domain from, but is connected to your Wix site, either via name servers or pointing. In this case:

- Your domain remains hosted by the domain host, and therefore domain renewals, contact information updates and billing inquiries must be done through your current domain host and not through Wix. 
- If your domain is connected via name servers, you will be able to manage your DNS records from your Wix account.
- If your domain is connected via pointing, your DNS records are managed via your domain host.

For more information about connecting your domain to Wix, click here.

Please note that this process may take up to 72 hours to take effect.

Replies(34 replies total)

Show my replies first
  • ianosteo

Replied by ianosteo July 16, 2014

Hi!

I have an existing domain name outside of wix. I would like to build another site using wix and transfer or connect the domain name from the old site to wix's new site. Currently I rank top of the google search for my site. Will this be affected when i move over to wix? Will the answer be different depending on whether I "transfer" or "connect" ?

Thanks

Binyomin

• Yotam Wix Team

Replied by Yotam July 16, 2014

Hi Binyomin,

Thank you for contacting Wix support.

As each new site has different content, so your site's SEO will be affected when connected to your new Wix site. 

This effect can be major/minor, positive/negative - it all depends on how well you optimize your new site.

There is no difference between connecting your domain and transferring it, what matters is your site's content.

Wix guarantees that your site content is crawled and indexed by Google, achieving a high ranking is up to you.

Please check out our SEO section for all the information required regarding optimizing your site's SEO.

All the best,

Yotam Wix Team
    • ianosteo

Replied by ianosteo 5 days ago

Toda Yotam!

• scottla23

Replied by scottla23 July 14, 2014

Hi

I need to do just the opposite of what this article says. Instead of connecting an outside domain to my Wix domain, I'd like to connect my wix to an outside domain without transferring the domain to an outside host. So basically I'd like my Wix domain to route traffic to another domain I own that is not hosted by Wix. Is this possible... can this be done?

LS.

• Or Y Wix Team

Replied by Or Y July 14, 2014

Hello,

It is impossible to connect your Wix domain to a second host, you can either point your site by adding CNAMEs or transfer it to the other host.

Please let us know in case you have further questions.

All the best, Or
    • scottla23

What does "pointing" your site mean? What does this actually consist of? I have a clothing site w/ Big Cartel & it hasn't been 60 days so I can transfer my domain from Wix to Big Cartel, & if I wait until the 60 days have passed  to transfer the domain from Wix I will loose so much clientele my changing the Big Cartel domain to the current Wix domain, customers will be lost due to confusion... Can you please offer me a solution than transferring the domain?

LS.

• scottla23

I've been searching around the Wix site for solutions and narrowed down my options. So far these are my options 

1) Connecting my Wix site to my own domain- I watched this video (http://www.wix.com/support/main/html5/domains)

2) Embedding a website - I read this info (http://www.wix.com/support/main/html5/wix-app-market/apps-made-wix/html#weight-2)

3) Using a subdomain with Wix

My problem is I don't know exactly what these option will result in, like what do they do? The tutorials explain the process of setting them up, but not actually what they're used for. Could you please explain how or if these could help me with the problem above?

LS.

• Ira Bel Wix Team

Replied by Ira Bel July 14, 2014

Hello,

We are afraid we do not understand what exactly do you wish to achieve.

Are you interested in using your Wix site and connect it to another domain?

Or do you wish to connect the domain name (shippedfrdtopia.com or dtopia313.com) to another, external website?

Please elaborate your goals and we will provide you with the relevant instructions.

• scottla23

Yes, I'd like to route traffic from my Wix domain (dtopia313.com) to my Big Cartel domain (http://www.dtopia313.bigcartel.com) so I can make sells through Big Cartel. 

• Ira Bel Wix Team

Hi,

Please contact Big Cartel and ask them for the IP to add as an A record (it is supposed to be the IP of your Big Cartel site).

Then change the A record of your domain to this IP, using the instructions here.

Please feel free to contact us in case you need further assistance. 

• scottla23

So far I've embed the www.dtopia313.bigcartel.com website onto the D'merch tab of my dtopia313.com site, but this isn't exactly what I was going for. Is there anyway I can connect my Wix domain to my Big Cartel website?

• scottla23

ok, my bad... I didn't see your last response...

• Ira Bel Wix Team

Hi,

No problem.

Please feel free to contact us in case you need further assistance. 

• scottla23

I tried that method & unfortunately Big Cartel does not give out they're IP addresses or Name Serves. This was stated in their FAQs:

"Can I get your IP address or Name Servers for my DNS Host?

For your own good, the answer is no. You won’t need to use our IP address or name servers to link your custom domain to your Big Cartel store. IP addresses change over time, and if we change ours, the redirect to your domain would break–leaving your shop inaccessible. Trust us: using a CNAME record to redirect your domain will prevent major frustration, and keep your store open for business around the clock."

They suggest editing or adding a CNAME record using these steps...

"1) Create or edit a CNAME record with your DNS provider

Log in to your DNS provider’s control panel. From there, you’ll want to edit your DNS settings. You’ll be able to do this from the DNS manager, zone file settings, advanced forwarding, or whatever other weird thing your DNS company calls it. This is where you will edit or add a CNAME record. You’ll either create a CNAME record for www or you’ll need to edit the CNAME record if one already exists. Enter the following:

Alias: www
      Type: CNAME
      Points to: enter the full URL of your store (ex: mybigcartelstore.bigcartel.com)

2) Redirect to www

Time to redirect your non-www URL (ex: mybigcartelstore.com) to the www URL (ex: www.mybigcartelstore.com) with a 301 redirect. In the domain forwarding section of your selected domain, select forwarding only or a 301 redirect without masking."

Is this possible and if so how do I do the "forwarding only or 301 refirect without masking"?

• scottla23

Never mind I got it Ira... thanks for your help!!

LS.

• esbenlarsen

Replied by esbenlarsen June 30, 2014

danish domains

Do you support Danish domains(.DK)?

• Ritti Wix Team

Replied by Ritti June 30, 2014

Hi,

You connect all the domains to WIX. We don't however, sell Danish domains nor can they be transferred to us.

Best, Ritti
    • esbenlarsen

Replied by esbenlarsen June 30, 2014

so i can make i site in here and connect it to my DK domain?
      Is that how its suppose to be umderstod?

• Ritti Wix Team

Replied by Ritti June 30, 2014

Yes!

You purchase the DK domain elsewhere and connect it to your WIX site :o)

An answer to this topic can be found in How can I connect my domain (purchased elsewhere) to my Wix site?

Best, Ritti
  • distaffsingers

Replied by distaffsingers June 29, 2014

Unaware that distaffsingers.org could not be transferred.  In fact, I thought the opposite.  Are you telling me that in order to have a website with Wix.com, we need to change the name of our website to the Wix.com designated name? 

• Dean Wix Team

Replied by Dean June 29, 2014

Hey,

What is the domain name in question?

Please note that it's not possible to transfer to Wix domains that were registered with Network Solutions or Register.com

Let us know if you need additional help.

All the best, Dean - Wix Team
  • distaffsingers

Replied by distaffsingers June 29, 2014

Need to transfer not connect

I tried to follow directions to publish and inadvertently hit the connect button.  Our non-profit already has a domain name which we wish to keep.  When I tried to transfer, I received the message- Domain Unavailable to Transfer - Domain transfer request not available from your registrar.  I have been told the domain name is unlocked, the WhoIs disabled, and have received an authorization number. I need to reverse the connect instruction and then transfer the domain name.

• shirleysega1

Replied by shirleysega1 June 25, 2014

Connecting Vs. Transferring domain - which is preferable, if any?

Hi,

I would like to connect a domain name I already own to my wix website.

What would be the difference between connecting my domain to wix but keeping my current registrar and transferring my domain to wix from the current registrar?

Are there advantages in transferring my domain to wix in terms of costs , maintenance or support?

Further to this, my current web site (not a wix web site) is hosted at a third party firm. Now that I’m connecting my domain to a wix web site, I will no longer need hosting services from a third party – is this correct? 

• gills2 Wix Team

Replied by gills2 June 25, 2014

Hey  shirleysega1,

I have merged your post to this thread, please refer to the 'Best Reply' above.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Gill, Wix Team
    • shirleysega1

Replied by shirleysega1 June 25, 2014

Thank you, your answer was very helpful. Is it possible to first connect the domain and later on transfer it to wix?

Thanks, 

Shirley 

• shayb7 Wix Team

Replied by shayb7 June 25, 2014

Hey Shirley,

Yes it is possible, you will be able to transfer your domain to Wix at any time, even if this domain is already connected to your Wix site.

Please note, you can currently transfer only domains with the following extensions: .com, .org, .net, .biz. and .info.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

• shirleysega1

Replied by shirleysega1 June 26, 2014

Thank you!

• Barrios Wix Team

Replied by Barrios June 26, 2014

No problem! enjoy your Wix :)

Many thanks, Barrios
  • benskitt

Replied by benskitt June 19, 2014

Hi,

Right I really don't know what I'm doing now.... (not good with all this stuff tbh).

I have published my site, paid for premium, now i want my website under the name I purchased i while ago from fasthosts. I scared about losing all the work i have done building the site.

What do I do? Please help and talk a stupid person through the process :)

• benskitt

Replied by benskitt June 19, 2014

I think I have done it by following step 11 on the support page.

I understand it can take up to 72hrs so I hope it works!

Thanks

• ilan-t Wix Team

Replied by ilan-t June 19, 2014

Glad to hear, let us know if you need any help or run into any issue.

Best regards

• izakniemann

Replied by izakniemann June 18, 2014

Hi, I just purchased a Premium package and also changed the DNS at GoDaddy where my domain name is, but I think I made a mistake by transferring my domain name to WIX instead.  That is NOT what I want to do and locked my domain name at GoDaddy.  Can you please check for me what's the situation?  I need this to be corrected ASAP.

Thank you very much,

Izak

• twobeelovedllc

Replied by twobeelovedllc June 16, 2014

I want to know what the benefit is in transferring the hosting. Does the Create your site for free banner go away? 

• Itamar S Wix Team

Replied by Itamar S June 16, 2014

Hi,

When you transfer your domain to Wix, it means that you will be able to manage your DNS records from your Wix account. This includes connecting your e-mail, pointing your domain to a different IP address, connecting subdomains, etc. 

Once the domain transfer has been processed, Wix will become the domain host, which means that domain renewal will be done from your Wix account, and not with your previous domain host.

For more information on transferring a domain to Wix, please click here.

Removing Wix ads is a premium feature. To remove Wix ads from your site, you will need to upgrade to one of our premium plans that include this feature - the Combo Plan, the Unlimited Plan, the eCommerce Plan or the VIP Plan.

For more information and to purchase one of these plans, click here.

We are here should you require any further assistance.

Add reply

Mark this reply as Best Reply
Close open child tickets