Ask any marketer and they’ll tell you: the first crucial step in establishing a professional online presence is having a great website. But if you really want to generate leads, referrals and sales – a killer landing page is the answer. Luckily, the Wix website builder makes it easy with completely customizable free landing page templates.
Ready to get more eyes on your next campaign? We’ve got you covered.
What are landing pages good for?
Landing pages look just like any other website but they operate a bit differently. In the online marketing industry, landing pages are used to drive visitors towards conversion by getting them to click through to a specific action. Whether that action is making a purchase in your online store, subscribing to your newsletter, or countless other actions, a good LP can hugely up your chances of success. As opposed to a full-blown website, a landing page is a single page with a highly specific target: getting visitors to click through to your end goal.
What does this actually mean?
- In terms of content, the landing page has one simple message to convey. It promotes the desired action and sticks to explaining the benefits of performing this action.
- The design of the page needs to focus on supporting this objective and nothing else. This also means that the design should be more simple and clean so it doesn’t compete for the viewers’ attention.
- The ultimate goal of a landing page is to make viewers click. Both the design and the text of the page need to reflect that.
- A landing page, as its name may suggest, remains one single page. You can divide it into separate sections but you should stick to just one page, and preferably not a very long one.
- Headers, subheaders, buttons and images need to represent the page’s message in a powerful and effective way. Check out these LPs created using Wix, for examples.
- Unless you’re planning on designing your landing page from scratch, make sure you’re using a professional landing page template. This will help ensure that your LP doesn’t only look good, it will also have a strong visual hierarchy that instantly leads your visitors exactly where you want them most.
You can start with this stunning Product Landing Page Template:
How do landing pages actually work?
In order for the landing page to actually fulfill its purpose, you need to drive traffic to it. This can be done in a few different ways:
- Sending the landing page as an email campaign to subscribers.
- Posting the link on social networks like Facebook or Twitter (with or without paying for an ad campaign).
- Adding the link to the content of a blog post (like we just did in the previous point).
- Tweaking SEO settings so that your landing page can be found by organic (not-paid) search.
- Creating a PPC ad campaign on search engines and linking to the landing page.
These are all good methods to drive traffic to your landing page, but now you need to think about where to send visitors once they clicked on your page. We mentioned before that the ultimate goal of a landing page is to get viewers to click, but where is that click taking them? Will they be redirected to a shopping cart? A registration form? An inner page within your website? Think carefully about the next step and create an easy path for viewers to get there with a single click.
Here is an example of a Landing Page we created to inform our users of our cool animation feature. For more inspiration check out Wix’s Landing Pages board on Pinterest:
What to keep in mind when creating a landing page
If you’re convinced that landing pages can improve your online presence, go ahead and create one! Wix has many landing page templates that were designed specifically to help you generate clicks. Choose the theme or the design that best relates to your field and simply add your own images, text and links.
Here are the main points to keep in mind when creating a landing page:
- Define your goal – pinpoint what you want your LP to achieve and stay consistent
- Create visual hierarchy – design with direction
- Generate action with a CTA – make it clear to your LP visitors what they should do
- Design it beautiful – captivate at first look
- Write killer copy – give your LP visitors reason to read further
- Utilize images – charm with great visuals
- Highlight value – let people know how it benefits them
- Go for the hard sell – don’t be afraid to be direct
Let’s get technical
Here’s the step by step checklist for how to create your landing page:
- Choose a landing page template
- Give your landing page a name
- Add your unique content
- Add your stunning images
- Choose a relevant URL
- Make sure to have working links and CTAs
- Complete your meta-description and SEO title
Expert tip: One of the greatest advantages of landing pages is that they are relatively easy to make. This means you can actually create more than one landing page and test the performance of more than one design. Testing landing pages is a crucial technique in professional online marketing. It can teach you a lot about your target market and help you focus your messaging in the future.