Every professional model knows the importance of a great book, but nowadays you need more than a hard copy to get your name out there. If you want to increase exposure to your work and land great gigs, you’ll need to get your own online modeling portfolio.
While a professional modeling book can sometimes cost a good fortune, you can build a beautiful online portfolio for free. Wix offers you a huge selection of professional model templates and easy customization options, so you can get your portfolio online in no time and for no cost.
If you’re serious about your online presence as a model and want to create a great modeling portfolio, we have some tips that can help you out.
Make a Stunning Homepage
A website’s homepage is like a person’s eyes. It’s the very first thing your website visitors will see so you want to create a great first impression that makes them crave for more.
What should you put on the homepage?
- Your name in clear font
- A short and simple tagline – “professional model”, “modeling portfolio”, “unisex modeling”, etc.
- One stunning photo that says it all or a dynamic gallery of 3-5 great shots
- A navigation menu
And that’s it! Keep it very simple and clean. Your visitors’ attention should be focused on the visuals, so make sure there are no distractions.
How to Choose Photos for the Portfolio Gallery
Remember that it’s better to use less photos that are great than many photos that are average. Choose only photos that match professional standards. Ideally, the photos on your portfolio should be:
- High quality
- Present your skills as a model
- Versatile to demonstrate your abilities to do different styles
- Taken by professional and experienced photographers
- Commissioned by a client (to demonstrate work experience)
What Should You Write
In the “About” section, stick to basic information that is relevant to your work as a model:
- Details and stats: age, height, hair color, etc.
- Work experience: list all commissioned works that you believe can promote you as a model
- “Worked With”: list names of photographers, make-up artists, stylists and other professionals that you have worked with, preferably people that are known in the industry
Stick to the Bare Essentials
Wix has a great variety of widgets, add-ons and extras that users can add to their websites. For an online modeling portfolio, we recommend that you use these scarcely if at all. Use only elements that can contribute to your image as a professional and skilled model. Need some inspiration? Check out this blog post of beautiful actors and models portfolios, created with Wix.
Make sure your contact information is easy to find to and appears clearly on the site. You should have a separate Contact page, even if you already added your contact info to the About section.
Don’t settle for a contact form only. Make it easy for potential clients, agents and photographers to get in touch with you by adding email and/or phone number as well.
If you have professional profiles on social networks, add those as well. Think before you add links to personal profiles – do they really promote your work? Present you in a way that you’d like to share with future colleagues and employers? If not – leave them out.
Ready to create your free online model portfolio? Browse through dozens of beautiful art templates and find the perfect one for you. Once making your choice click “Edit” and start designing your website.