What would life be like without ctrl+c or ctrl+p? A dreadful thought! While some keyboard shortcuts were immortalized, there are still many shortcuts that remain unfamiliar to the greater public. As a service to our readers, we’d like to introduce you to some of these shortcuts, in hope that they make your typing experience that much better. Enjoy!
Note: These shortcuts are for Windows. You mac users know how to translate them, right? :)
Useful Shortcuts to Ctrl + C/Ctrl +V
- Win + C: Display the Windows Charms Bar, where you can perform search and change settings.
- Win + D: Takes you to your desktop.
- Win + M: Minimize all open apps.
- Win + Page up/ page down: Move between your two monitors when in dual display mode.
- Win + Space bar: Switch language.
- F11: Enter full-screen mode on your browser.
- Ctrl + Shift + N: Create a new folder in current directory/ folder.
- Ctrl + W: Close current tab.
- Ctrl + Shift + T: Reopens last closed tab (works on most browsers).
- Ctrl + B: Manage browser bookmarks.
- Ctrl + Q: Close current application.
- Ctrl + Z & Ctrl + Y: Undo & Redo.
- Ctrl + O: Open file.
- Ctrl + R: Reload page.
- Ctrl + 1-9: Switch between browser tabs, according to order of appearance (works on most browsers).
- Alt + Tab: Switch between open programs.
- Ctrl + Shift + Esc: Display Task Manager.
- Ctrl + Mouse wheel: Make font size bigger or smaller.
- Ctrl + -/+: Zoom in and out on page.
- Ctrl + Enter: In the internet browser URL field, use this combo to add “www.” and “.com” to the text you type.
- Home (in a text field): Move to beginning of line.
- End (in a text field): Move to end of the line.
- Home (on any open window): Go to the top of the current window.
- End (on any open window): Go to bottom of current window.
- Shift + Delete: Erase file permanently.